BRIEF HISTORY AND FORMATION OF KHARDAH MUNICIPALITY
The seven lettered word “KHARDAH”
bring us a snap of organically grown town developed through continuous process of migration. There are so may myths regarding the nomenclature of Khardah of which one is, once upon a time there was the dynasty of “Kharags” that’s why the place was named as “Khardah” and another concept is that the term Khardah has been emerged from the land of “Khardwip”.
The history of Khardah region dates back to a few hundred years. The region has its first Municipality in 1869. Thereafter in 1877, South Barrackpore and West Barrackpore Municipalities were established of which “Khardah” was a part. At a later date, these Municipalities were sub-divided and in 1920 South Barrackpore Municipality was renamed as Khardah Municipality on 28/03/1920 vide Govt. Notification no – 646 M dated 09/03/1920 with only four wards. Khardah Municipality started its maiden journey in the year 1920. Then the area was only 0.95 sq,km with a population of 6000 only. Enrich with the Vaishnab culture Khardah had the distinction of nurturing many great sons of Bengal. It is the place where Sri Rabindra Nath Tagore come by his PADMA Boat and stayed for fifty four (54) days in Shivali apartment. During his stay at Khardah he composed many songs and wrote many poems, one of which is “Bhagaban Tumi Yuge Yuge Dut Pathayecho Bare Bare
Khardah is proud of having the foot prints of Sri Chaitanya, Sri Adwita, Sri Nityananda, Sri Ramkrishna, Maa Sarada, Vivekananda, William Jones, Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay., Dr, Bidhan Ch. Roy, Dr. Nil Ratan Sarkar and many more. Sree Sree Radhyashyam sunder Jew Temple is one of the renouned old temple who attracts one people throughout the state.